ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Monday, May 04, 2009

Perfect Quiche

I spent most of a week planning and thinking about and tinkering with a quiche recipe in my head, and I finally made it and ate it with great relish and enjoyment on Friday night.

I've posted about my quiche making efforts before, but this has to be my favourite quiche iteration - simple, tasty, very much more-ish.

I made the base from the Cheezy Quacker recipe from have cake will travel, using a mixture of amaranth and barley flours. It's such a good base for quiche.

And with that, here's the rest of the recipe:

Green Quiche

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celcius. Make the Cheezy Quacker crust as per the above recipe.

Filling Part 1
  • 1 head roasted garlic (about 1/3 cup)
  • 2 packets firm silken tofu (about 2 cups)
  • 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon Herbamare seasoning salt
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup soymilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon umesu
  • 1 tablespoon onion flakes
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until very smooth.

Filling Part 2
  • 2 cups, firmly packed, rocket
  • 2 cups, firmly packed, baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup, firmly packed, fresh basil leaves
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until chopped.

Mix the greens into the tofu mixture well.

Pour into the Cheezy Quacker shell and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the centre is slightly wobbly. Turn off the oven and let the quiche cool in the oven for 10 minutes before serving.

Then nom. Nom. Nom. And nom some more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Looks good... but what is umesu?

1:52 PM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

I keep forgetting that I should really add some links when I talk about wacky ingredients!

Umesu is a "vinegar" that is made when ume plums are being pickled. It's bright pink, sweet and then suddenly very salty, and in no way vinegary.

I get umesu from my local health food store, but you can also get it from Asian food stores.

2:00 PM  
Blogger K said...

Looks awesome, will give it a go when I have a bit of time on my hands.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm making your peanut noodles tomorrow night for Lisa and Jazz. Lisa requested it as it's her favourite meal. So yay...am cooking your foods in the Dutchylands baby!

miss you heaps hey

luvs nix

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Monkey Vegan said...

Looks good! So are we cooking the crust at all before pouring the mixture in? Or do you just make the crust, fill it up and cook the whole lot at once? Thanks!

1:31 AM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

@Monkey Vegan Thanks for dropping by - yes, the base should be blind baked initially for about 10 minutes before putting the filling in - I can't believe I left that step out!! I hope you enjoy the end results!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home