ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday March 11, 2009

Today was a stressed out, gah bastard day of working pain, why do I work again? kind of day.

Breakfast of green smoothie (parsley and kale with fruit is my favourite combination, not sure about the spinach with fruit combination though), lunch of spinach, rocket, sundried tomatoes, roast eggplant, walnuts, and my favourite dressing, and grapes.

Dinner was a story of major fail, that turned out not too badly, but was definitely not something I'd try again in the future.

I had marinated some tempeh in a marinade from the Candle Cafe cookbook, which was supposed to be a chipotle marinade with tomato paste, garlic, mustard, lemon juice etc. Unfortunately I put too much mustard in it, and it just tasted really unpleasantly of mustard. I put the tempeh in a baking tray in the oven, and tweaked the remaining marinade to something tasty to serve as a sauce with the tempeh.

I threw in garlic powder, onion flakes, oregano, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Braggs, Worcestershire sauce, HP sauce, water, lime juice, pomegranate molasses, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar and two more chipotles...it finally came to something that would be okay, though slightly too heavy on the cayenne pepper, if I put something in it to soak up the hot.

So I decided to crumble the tempeh into the sauce, along with butter beans and some minced cabbage, and cooked them all in there. It finally turned into something okay, and when it had cooled for 10 minutes, was actually quite tasty.

But ugly.

But moreish.

It went really well with the simple coleslaw I made - cabbage, apple, spring onion, celery in a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, seasoning salt and pomegranate molasses.


I was proud of myself for sticking to my menu for this evening (though I had to tweak it a little due to aforementioned fail), because my day sucked and all I really wanted to eat was a giant tray of macncheez and Minton biscuits and more macncheez and possibly some peanut butter and chocolate. Thankfully, didn't have any of those in the house (except the makings for macncheez), and knew that it would just make me feel a bit shit. Yay beans, tempeh and cabbage!!

I think the plan for tomorrow night is going to be zucchini "noodles" with tomato sauce, so will see how that goes....

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Damn Mintons with their seductive addictiveness.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had zucchini noodles with tomato sauce recently at a raw potluck and went wild for them - i can't believe how tasty and satisfying they are!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home