ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Wednesday March 4, 2009

Today was a good day, foodwise. I got lunch from Iku, one of my favourite foods-dispensing shops. I love their various menus, and their lemon tart is the bestest dessert of bestest desserts everywhere throughout time and space. And I only exaggerate a little. Today I stayed fairly standard, and got the chilli Macro burger (tofu/rice patty, tahini sauce, dressing, greens, chilli sauce on a steamed spelt sourdough bun), with a side of salad (greens and chickpeas), with that bestest dessert, lemon tart, for sweety times!

I was at work, so I didn't get a photo. I do recommend eating at Iku if you find yourself near an outlet - yes, it's macrobiotic wholefood, but it's ultraubertastygoodfoods.

Dinner was a longwinded affair to make, but 2/3 worth it, with 1/3 still under consideration. I'm pretty sure I liked all of it, but am still contemplating.

So. The 1/3 that I'm not sure about....

Tempeh and White Bean "Sausage" Patties from Vegan with a Vengeance


They look pretty damned sexy, eh? I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, so these contain:

Tempeh; cannellini beans; garlic; fennel seeds; thyme; smoked paprika; nutmeg; tomato paste; Braggs; cayenne pepper and gluten free breadcrumbs.

These have a very strong tempeh taste, and are quite salty with a bit of bite. I'm not sure about them, I have some ideas to fiddle with them - less Braggs, more herbs, probably a little sweeter. But as with all of Isa's recipes, this is an easy and non-fail recipe.

My happy-making 2/3 was the salad. I kicked off by wanting to make a recipe called Tabbouleh Orientale from a little cookbook I have called energy foods. Of course, being me, I wandered off topic a little. And I'm glad I did, because it was made of supergood!

So, this had carrot, celery, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, finely chopped baby kale, garlic chives, mint, parsley and basil (more on which later). I dressed it in, yes, my favoured lemon-nooch dressing. It was NOMtastic!! I was worried that the kale would be tough or bitter, but it worked really well with its' earthy flavour, and added lots of tasty and nutrients. Yay!

Basil from my garden OMG!!

It was exciting to pluck something from my garden and then use it immediately in a wonderful salad. It's a small start, but it's still a start!

In non-vegan times, I bought pre-sale tickets for a MADNESS gig!! I think my head will explode when I see them live for the first time evah ZOMGBBQ!!1!one!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Oh, beloved Iku. How I love and miss you!

Do you know their kitchen is in Marrickville? I used to live there! And you can arrange a visit to it. Oh, why did I not know this then!

*sniffles*

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home