ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tasmania, casserole, chickpea salad

This is a quick photo post to share some fun stuff I've been doing recently.

I went to Tasmania a few weeks ago - not the easiest place to be a vegan, though Hobart does offer Sirens, an awesomely fancypants vegetarian and vegan restaurant (though check the wines before ordering - I ended up with one that had been fined with egg, milk and fish - boo!) The food is fabulous, though. If you're in Hobart, find it and eat there. Okay?

For those folks who have watched Veronica Mars, and know my obsession with Logan Echolls, they may know that Logan is often referred to as a "wooby". Hobart not only contains my new favourite restaurant, but also my new favourite lane (not that I have a current favourite lane...)


A town in the middle of Tasmania had this beautiful mill in the middle of a town that was so Georgian that I kept expecting Jane Austen to pop her head out of a doorway.

I recently found some blue corn chips, and had a great time making nachos with them. I did a leftovers nachos casserole (as you do), with the chips, rice, tofu, Not!BBQ pork, asparagus, shiitake, refried beans, kidney beans, Veganomicon cheez sauce...ummm...I'm sure there was more stuff in there, as there always is in leftovers casseroles! None of the inside shots (I ate it smothered in guacamole) were really that attractive, but I liked the contrast of colours in this pre-slicing shot.

When the weather was getting warmer (right now it's pissing down and cold and I have a cold and it's all about the "where the hell is Spring/Summer now?" questions - though I do prefer this weather, I'm just a little seasonally confused), I made this chickpea "tuna" salad, with chickpeas, walnuts, capers, pickled cucumber, soy mayo, lemon juice, mustard, seaweed flakes, chilli flakes...and I'm sure many more ingredients - I did just end up throwing things in there! Tasted great, though, and is a refreshing warm weather meal. Served on cos lettuce here...

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Yay! I have been pining for your foodage posts.

11:12 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

I've made a tempeh tuna salad but now I really want to try chickpea - looks yummo!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Georgia said...

oh glad you found Sirens. You are right about hobart not being veg friendly. There are a few lunch places that are vegetarian but sirens are the only place for dinner.Thanks for the heads up with the wine - i never thought to check it there.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home