ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The new garden...

...it slowly grows.

This morning I walked to the Marrickville Organic Farmer's Markets (for the second time - I thought it was held on Saturdays, so I walked there yesterday - d'oh!) and found a lovely stall with organic seedlings, many of which I purchased.

I still don't have the raised garden beds set up, but these seedlings should be okay for another couple of weeks until such time as I do get my courtyard all soiled up.

Tomatoes - I got four tomato seedlings:

Lookit! Flower = soon to be food!!

I got 2 types of basil - standard and Greek.

Standard (all illuminated and backlit by the sun - lovely!)


Greek - beautiful teeny leaves:

The tomatoes and basil will be companion-planted.

The base herb everyone should have in their garden - continental parsley!

And finally for today's haul, four strawberry seedlings. These are going to be planted in hanging baskets as a way to avoid slugs and snails - also I think it will look really pretty and be something of a talking point. Additional bonus - apparently planting in hanging baskets can increase fruit yield by 50%.



There are many other seedlings I want to get (it's a little too late into the planting timeline to produce seedlings from seeds, so I'm going seedlings this year...): lettuce, rocket, carrots, potatoes, chives, garlic, onions, raspberries, beetroot, beans, peas...definitely more, but I can't remember what else I want!!

I'm happy to have gotten these seedlings, because with them sitting there lookin' at me, it's harder to put off starting this fabby garden thang...

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Awesome. I am so annoyed with myself for never making it to those markets, especially seeing as I pretty much lived just around the corner from them in my last year in Sydney.

Mum and I got some basil, parsley and mint yesterday which she planted in pots on the back deck to kick start our herb garden. I am such a black thumb that I leave that stuff to her, and then I cook with it.

You are inspiring me to make her go and plant some more stuff though! One thing have been keen on for a while is a lemon tree and a lime tree so I can have juice and zest on hand! I love the idea of strawberries in hanging planters!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, good luck with your garden. i got some seedlings from ceres oranic market in melbourne a few weeks ago and they've really taken to the garden. I'm going to go back there though and get some strawberries for some hanging baskets, good advice!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home