ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Memeymemeykins

I don't think I've done one of these before - at least not that I've published - but as dinner tonight was essentially dinner from last night except on bread and minus the tomatoes, and I'm feeling somewhat uninspired, I thought I'd take on the memelistything wot I found on Iron Chef Vegan (amongst the 80 million other blogs I'm trying to keep up with during this VeganMofo - I'm failing completely most of the time - that's going to be lots of reading on into the next couple of months!)

1. Name a song that involves food in some way.

Dinner Bell - They Might Be Giants

2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy?

Pretty pictures. Use of wacky grains like amaranth. If there's a mention of veganism as a way to lose weight I'll hide the cookbook at the back of the shelf at the bookstore whilst saying "Pffft bollix!"

3. What did you eat today?

Breakfast - Apple and cinnamon Crunchola with oat milk and banana

Lunch - 2 gluten/lentil/refried bean empanadas with 1/2 an avocado, salad leaves, spicy chilli sauce, soy yoghurt and a banana

Dinner - Smoked Cheddar Sheese, avocado, Cheatin' Pepperoni, cherry chutney on spelt sourdough, followed up with nutty Moon Cake and tofu ice cream from Vegan's Choice.

4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried.

Pretty much any food that folks talk about on the ppk that's available in the US/Canada/Europe.

5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be?

Eat the Rich. Same as my imaginary cafe wot I've been planning since I was 17.

6. Favourite hot sauce or other spicy condiment?

I have developed, since I became vegan, a huge taste for hot sauce. Technically, the hot sauce/nooch mixture on top of something creamy like macncheez OMGNOM!

7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan?
21 - Vegetarian; 27 - Vegan

8. Favourite vegan cheeze?

I love Sheese (see previous post) but my favourite vegan cheez is really Dragonfly's Bulk Dry Uncheese Mix (or as I call it, Casheez). So very tasty. I am in the midst of moving from the desire for cheese flavour to the desire for nooch flavour, I think.

9. Cutest baby animal?

Can I pick, um, all of them? Kittens, yus. Lemurs. Llamas. More lemurs. And bendy baby ruminants with giant knocky knees.

10. Favourite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves?

Red Raspberry Jam from Dalfour. My mum's marmalade, and her tomato quetta.

11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?

1 x multivitamin per day, and a B12 shot every 2 months (my B12 was great until I started on my medication, which sucks all of the B12 out of my system...stupid medication)

12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season?

What's this "Fall" of which you speak? *whisper whisper* Oh. Autumn. Um. Beer? Or more precisely, pumpkin.

13. What food would you have a hard time living without?

Legumes.

14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

Coffee.

15. It’s 10PM and you’re starving. What do you eat?

Nothing. I'm very controlled by my special diet thing (long and boring story) and I only eat three times a day, and only with 5 hour breaks. So it's 7am, midday and 6pm feeds for me. If I found myself hungry at 10pm I'd drink some water and go to bed.

16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food?

I have obligate carnivore cats who like occasional vegan treats. Lucie loves vegan ice cream and Smoked Sheese, and Squeak is fond of Cheatin' Chikin and Cheezly Cheddar. That's it for the vegan portion of their diet, though.

17. Worst injury you’ve gotten in the kitchen?

I have a triangular scar on one of my fingers on my right hand from an injury I got from a commercial clingfilm dispenser when I was working as an apprentice chef in 1999. I really should have gotten stitches, as the dispenser cut deeply and pushed the skin from base knuckle to middle knuckle of the finger (ow), but I just pushed it all together, wrapped up the injury, put about 5 gloves on my hand and finished my shift. I don't think I've ever seen as much blood as I saw when I took off my gloves at the end of the shift.

Gross, huh?

18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call?

Cookbooks, vegweb, ppk, wikipedia, Google. Oh bless the interwebs.

19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most?

Or to put it another way, Spring is just starting, which food are you looking forward to? Asparagus, strawberries, stone fruit.

20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work?

See long winded answer to 15 - no snacking for me!!

21. Favourite soup to make on a rainy day?

Spicy Red Lentil and Tomato - fricking fabulous.

22. What’s your favourite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices?

Apple, carrot and ginger.

23. Favourite brand of root beer?

Erm. I used to love Bundaberg Ginger Beer (I don't drink soft drinks any more... *sigh*)

24. Make up your own question!

How do I meet Richard Till?

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Awesome. I read this and actually LOL-ed: "Since 2002 he has performed the comic cooking shows 'Just Dick it' and 'Dick Does Dinner' at festivals around the country".

12:12 AM  
Blogger M.L. said...

Hahaha. See, I would have associated beer with every damn season :-)

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home