ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Day Four...

...I've lost some of my enterprising spirit over the last few days (had takeaway last night, courtesy of the boy) but am hoping to regain it today.

Otherwise, I've done pretty well with the pantry challenge:

I made bread (not so successful) and baked seitan (massively successful) on the weekend.

I'm still eating the bread, despite the fact that it's essentially dwarf bread and I should probably be going to war with someone and using it as a weapon. It's full of goodness, though (buckwheat flour, barley flour, rolled quinoa, wheatgerm) which may explain it's, erm, firm nature. Plus I made half of the dough into spiced fruit buns, and they're good, no matter what!

The seitan used some of the flavours I associate with lamb (sage, rosemary, lemon) and I used sweet soy sauce rather than standard soy sauce or Braggs, which gave a lovely sticky sweet crunchy exterior to the seitan roast. I'm really happy with it, and thankfully left myself enough gluten flour to make another one next weekend.

Hmmm....What else have I made?

Spicy pumpkin (and sweet potato) pasta sauce with fettucine and walnuts. A great standard, taught to me by an ex-boyfriend (who is now a very successful chef, which, yay!!), and used up the pumpkin and the fettucine.

Sliced seitan with sundried tomato, onion, lemon and mustard sauce, and mashed sweet potatoes.

Seitan and salad with BBQ sauce.

Angel hair pasta (discovered in the spaghetti jar after I wrote the list!) with arrabiatta sauce (tomatoes, garlic, chilli flakes)

I keep looking at the list, and muttering things to myself about eating only flour for the next month ;-) Hopefully this experience will teach me to buy more carefully...or possibly may encourage my hoarding nature, so that I buy in bulk!!

So, I could repost the revised list, but instead I'll post what I've used up completely so far:

Buckwheat flour
Plain flour
Dried apples
Peanut oil
Spiced Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar
Braggs
Angel hair pasta
Fettucine
Silken tofu
Broccoli
Pumpkin
Cheezy Quacker dough

So much more to go!! Will try and get photos soon....

I am cheating, though, and buying some additional ingredients in order to test recipes for the book. I'm still coming up with recipes, silly me! I've adapted the bavarois recipe to a creme caramel recipe, and I really want to try it. These extra ingredients don't count, as they're not for daily consumption, they're for the greater vegan cookbook good.

At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

Enough rambling, more coffee!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Errant past student Lorna here...I still keep an eye on the blog but life has been to hectic to come to class :-(

You inspired me to make a list of what I had in the cupboard as I was complaining of having "nothing in the house". Err...seems I do, although my list is modest compared to yours! Now to hunt down that quinoa recipe...

8:23 AM  
Blogger mimbles said...

I occasionally do the list thing with the fridge and freezer contents but I've never done it with the pantry. I have a feeling it would be kind of horrifying, might be fun!

Shall I bring my macadamia nut cracker as well as the food processor on Sunday? Assuming you're still in the market for a food processor loan?

10:04 AM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

The Owl - I hope that you're having fun with the experiment - and go the quinoa fun!

Mim - I sent you a SOz PM, but a thousand times YES to the macadamia nutcracker, and I am definitely still in the market for a food processor loan (thank you!!)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You DO have a well stocked cupboard!! Very varied, so you probably won't get bored using it all up. I have multiple packs of the same thing, so trying to use up mine all at once WOULD get boring quickly ;) But it's good to do!

8:22 PM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

I didn't really mention on the list that a lot of things were a third of a packet or the remaining 2 tablespoons (like the nooch, which I had to restock due to life without nooch is a life not worth living). I just got my fortnight's worth of fruit and veges in, so I'm going to start really ripping into the cooking from Sunday. Huzzah!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home