ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pantry clean out or...

...this time of year = broke ZuckerBaby.

An off hand comment from my boy ("You could probably live for months off what's in your pantry") has inspired me to do just that. With the exception of purchasing fresh fruit and veges and soymilk, I'm going to try and see how many meals I can make with, and how long I can eat out of, what I already have in my cupboards, fridge and freezer.

So, the first step was an inventory. Be prepared for the list o' doom. I had way more stuff than I thought I had in my cupboards, so this is going to be fun!

"Baking" cupboard (where I keep all of the stuff for recipe testing for the book, and other baking essentials and dry goods)

Maize flour (masa harina)
Semolina
Gluten flour
Potato flour (what do I do with this?? Any ideas?)
Rye flour
Almond meal
Raw wheatgerm
Pearl barley
Millet
Rolled Rye
Barley Flour
Buckwheat flour
Cornflour
Polenta
Sunflower seeds
Raisins
Steel cut oats
Macadamias (still in their shells - I have to figure out how to remove them!)
Blanched almonds
Hazelnut meal
Walnuts
Dried apples
Bottled Morello cherries
Self raising flour
Plain flour
Chickpea flour (besan/gram)
Hazelnuts
Pistachios
Mixed Nuts
Slivered Almonds
Arrowroot flour
Xanthan gum
Guar gum
Rolled quinoa
Dessicated coconut
Rolled oats
Poppyseeds
Cocoa
Baking powder
Bicarb Soda
NoEgg
Chocolate covered coffee beans
Agar Agar
Chocolate
Chocolate chips
Icing sugar
Brown sugar
Spiced brown sugar
Golden Syrup
Treacle
Flavours
Vanilla powder
Corn syrup
Custard powder

"Cookery" cupboard (all the things I generally use for dinners)

"Beef" stock cubes
Vege stock cubes
Balsamic vinegar
Palm sugar
Sesame Seeds
Canola oil
Umesu
Canned tomatoes
Cannellini beans
Tomato paste
Smoky BBQ Sauce
Soy flour
Popcorn
Worcestershire Sauce
Braggs
Peanut butter
Mirin
Nori sheets
Rice wine vinegar
Apple cider vinegar
White vinegar
Olive oil
Peanut oil
Sesame oil
Spaghetti
Fettucine
Cannelloni
Lasagne
Wholemeal spirals
Vegeroni sprials
Soba noodles
Spelt shells
Mac and Chreese
Rice paper sheets
Couscous
Nutritional yeast (I may have to get some more of this, it's become essential to my life!!)
Arborio rice (which I'm not supposed to eat, so don't know what I'm going to do about this)
Brown rice
Red lentils
Black Eye Beans (peas?)
White balsamic vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Kelp Powder
Tahini
Mineral water
BBQ sauce
Spices
Penne
Sea salt
Salt
Pepper
Soymilk


Fridge


Amaranth
Kalamata olives
Agave nectar
Spicy BBQ Sauce
Vegan mayonnaise
Sweet chilli sauce
Sweet soy sauce
Mango chutney
Pickled galangal
Pickled ginger
Barley miso
Sundried tomatoes
Blackstrap molasses
Pickled cucumbers
Branston Pickle
Chinese BBQ Sauce
Pickled Turnip
Tom Yum Paste
Dijon mustard
Yellow mustard
Pickled chillies
Hoi sin sauce
Nuttelex
Tamari pepitas
Silken tofu
Creamed coconut


Fruit and veges


Red cabbage
Chinese cabbage
Capsicum
2 lemons
2 avocados
2 tomatoes
bananas
2 oranges
Sweet potato
Garlic
1 red onion
2 lettuces
Broccoli
Cucumber
Celery
Parsley
Spring Onions
Carrot
Pumpkin

Freezer

Cannellini beans
Linseed meal
Edamame
Waffles
Yeast
"Chicken" balls
Spring Roll Wrappers
Linseeds
Pawpaw chutney
Coconut milk
Cheezy Quacker dough
Spring onion rolls
Vegetable buns
Chipotle chillies
Seaweed "fish"
Tortillas
2 bananas
Coffee

I suspect I am set for months.

Tonight's dinner? Quiche, using silken tofu, nutritional yeast, besan, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, soymilk, garlic and onion powder, broccoli, sundried tomatoes and the cheezy quacker dough as a crust. Nice, though a bit salty.

I am hoping to document this experiment closely - should provide lots of fun and bizarre recipes!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rural Vegan said...

I think your list is even bigger than mine, though I still have you beat in the dried bean category. I think you could easily coast a month off that impressive pantry list!

12:40 AM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

It's a huge list, isn't it? I wish I had more dried beans, though!!

It's kind of scary to think that I generally look at my cupboards and go "oh, there's nothing there" and go shopping for extra stuff!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Di said...

lol, that is indeed a crazy list :D

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home