ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Saturday, December 02, 2006

What is she talking about?? Part Two

So, applesauce.

I kept reading about applesauce in a lot of recipe books, and whilst I wanted to use it, I really didn't want to buy the damn stuff. Applesauce is one of the fabby vegan baking tricks. It's great as an egg replacement and oil/margarine replacement. Oh, and you can, you know, just eat it 'cos it's really yummy! I like to put a tablespoon on top of my muesli, or nice warm porridge.

To quote from the Garden of Vegan: "Add about 1/4 cup applesauce in place of an egg in sweet baked goods. It's a great binder but you might need to add a little extra baking powder (about 1/2 tsp) to help with the rising."

So I make batches of applesauce and freeze it - great way to use up any older apples you may have kicking about (since I've had restrictions put on the amount of fruit I can eat, I've got heaps of apples I don't get to use up before they start getting a bit old!)

It's incredibly easy - you just need to have some time under your belt. I tend to put this on the stove in the morning on a weekend, whilst I'm doing the weekend houswork. Just check up on it every now and then, give it a stir, and after a couple of hours, you have applesauce!!

Applesauce

Ingredients

Whole bunch o' apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 2cm square dice
Water to cover apples

Method

Bung the apples in a saucepan, and cover with water - they will all float to the surface, so don't go too crazy with the water. There'll probably be a need for more water as the cooking continues.

Put the saucepan on a medium low heat, and leave to bubble away whilst you do important things like consume coffee and do the washing up. Check on the apples regularly, and give them a stir. As they begin to break up, stir more often, as they can begin to stick. Add more water if the mix is getting stuck but the apples are not disintegrated.

When the applesauce reaches this point, take it off the heat. Let cool, and pack into airtight container/s. I like to freeze mine, and defrost as needed for baking/consuming.

Share and Enjoy!!

2 Comments:

Blogger mimbles said...

Share and Enjoy
Share and Enjoy
Journey through life
With a plastic boy
Or Girl by your side
Let your pal be your guide
And when it breaks down
Or starts to annoy
Or grinds when it moves
And gives you no joy
Cos it's eaten your hat
Or had sex with your cat
Bled oil on your floor
Or ripped off your door
You get to the point
You can't stand any more
Bring it to us, we won't give a fig
We'll tell you, 'Go stick your head in a pig


Sorry, I've been resisting that for quite some time but I'm bored tonight and it got the better of me *sheepish grin*

Applesauce is good! Though I don't seem to have an old apple problem anymore now that the rainbow lorrikeets turn up every morning demanding one for breakfast.

12:07 AM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

I'm surprised you've resisted for this long!! I find it quite cheering to have that song going through my head when writing this blog, and once you've started using a catchphrase, it's hard to change, you know??

(Zaphod's just zis guy, you know??)

H2G2 how we adore you!!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home