ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Marinated Tofu Salad

I'm trying to up my protein and green leafy vegetables intake, and have found myself trying to make wacky versions of mayonnaise-y chicken/egg/tuna salads with marinated tofu recently.

I've made an insanely successful "Chicken" Caesar Salad, using the great mayonnaise recipe from the Blossoming Lotus' recipe book. The only thing I'd say about that recipe - it's really really rich, so I'd be careful how much you consume!!

When I'm being lazy, though, I don't make so much with the effort. The following recipe involved the least amount of effort for the maximum return of tastiness ;-)

Marinated Tofu "Chicken" Salad

Tofu Marinade Ingredients

extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed, pressed and torn into chunks
about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast
about 1/3 cup lemon juice
about 1/3 cup vinegar
about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
dash of hot sauce (optional)

Creamy Dressing Ingredients

about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
lemon juice/vinegar to taste
about 1 teaspoon of seeded mustard
3 gherkins, chopped
1/2 to 1 tablespoon capers, minced
1 shallot, chopped (both white and green bits!)

Cos lettuce, torn

Method

Marinated Tofu

Whisk the tofu marinade ingredients together (that's everything bar the tofu). Pour over the tofu chunks, and toss to cover. Let marinade in the fridge, tossing occasionally, for at least 1/2 an hour.

Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium high heat, and throw the tofu in. Cook, stirring fairly vigourously, until the tofu is golden brown. Take off the heat and set to one side to cool.

Creamy Dressing

Whisk the Better than Cream Cheese, the seeded mustard, and the lemon juice/vinegar together - the more acid you add, the thinner the dressing will become. I like my dressing really lemony, but that's not to everyone's taste!! Add the gherkins, shallots and capers to the mix, and stir through until combined.

Pile heaps of shredded cos lettuce into a bowl, top with the marinated tofu chunks and the dressing.

Grab a big glass of water or some citrussy juice to alleviate the creaminess of the dressing, and share and enjoy!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there, I just found your blog! very nice work here! This marinated tofu salad is just what I have been thinking about.. yet.. never done..thanks for posting the recipe!
take care, from Alaska.. a million miles away, eh? isn't the internet grand?
Julee

5:01 PM  
Blogger ZuckerBaby said...

Hey, madeinalaska! Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes - I will be updating more regularly when I have holidays - I have a backlog of photos and scrawled recipes just waiting to be blogged!

And yay for the internets! It's wonderful (and slightly daunting)to be writing something that's read by international folks, and I'm well chuffed to have an Alaskan popping in!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man...how did I miss this one??? I'm totally making this one tomorrow night babe! Hmmmmwhat could I use for the sauce besides that pretend cream cheese? I don't think I could buy it up here...I could possibly use normal tho? Just all that diary...it makes me unwell!

luvs you
nix

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home