ZB's Vegan Recipes

Here's where you can find some fun, tasty and generally pretty easy-to-make vegan (and often low GI) recipes. Enjoy!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Munchin' on some toasted muesli, yee-aaahhh

So, when I was a girl (back in the era of dinosaurs, almost having my head taken off by pterodactyls etc etc) I can remember my grandmother (though, with my memory, it really could have been my mother or my aunt) making toasted muesli. She'd make up the mix, spread it out on a baking sheet, and toast it in the oven.

I hated it.

Hated the taste, hated the smell, hated the icky healthiness of it, hated the texture...

Hated it.

Fast forward twenty five years, and I present to you:

ZB's Toasted Muesli of Doooooommmmm

Ingredients

1 cup rolled barley
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup linseeds (otherwise known as flaxseeds)
1 cup raw hazelnuts, semi pulverized (I squish 'em with the side of my big ole chef's knife, and then cut 'em up a bit)
1/2 to 1 cup red flame raisins (or sultanas of some sort)
1 cup juice (apple and blackcurrant is great, but orange is also good...)

Process

Turn the oven on to about 150 degrees celcius. Line a biscuit tray with non-stick paper/baking paper.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Pour the juice over the dry ingredients and mix in thoroughly. Let the mix sit for a little while so that the juice can really soak in.

Spread the mix thinly on the baking tray - you're going to have to do at least two lots. Don't be tempted to pile it up - you'll just end up with warm goop (trust me, I did that last time I made this).

Put the tray into the oven, and bake for about...15 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so. You're looking for a dark golden colour, a gorgeous smell, and dry texture.


Spread out on a plate to cool, and cook the rest of the mix. When all of the mix has cooled, put into an airtight container.

Serve with fresh fruit and soy milk (I like to leave my soymilk on it for about 5 minutes before eating, to let the muesli soften up a bit!)

Share and enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Mmmmmmmuesli!!

-nic

7:45 PM  
Blogger TobbĂ« said...

I am not a muesli nut. In fact as ZB can attest I'm not much on breakfast at all. My stomach does not usually wake up until at least 11am. But when I smell this baking in the oven I override my tum tum. Viva La Crunchy Bits!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home